This page is a guide to the needs of the Kingston Historical Society, and how you can become a part of its volunteer community. This page includes a form which can be used to volunteer.
Table of Contents
- Kingston Historical Society Philosophy
- Volunteer Opportunities
Kingston Historical Society Philosophy
The KHS is a non-partisan, non-profit organization created to preserve, enhance and promote the history of the village of Kingston, New Jersey. It is a Nonprofit corporation of New Jersey, and a 501(c)3 charity.
The purposes for the Historical Society are:
- To promote, support, conserve and encourage the preservation of the land and buildings located in Kingston, and the restoration or preservation of its old and historic buildings, sites, lands and relics.
- To promote, support, educate and encourage historical research and documentation, and to facilitate the collection, acquisition, and interpretation of historic materials and buildings relating to Kingston.
- To promote, support, and encourage the above stated goals (a) (b), and by providing educational programs and working with local governing officials and local and other historic organizations.
- To solicit, receive and or decline voluntary contributions of money and property of every kind and description, with historical significance to Kingston artifacts, by gifts, deeds, and bequests.
We have no paid employees. Those who work to further the mission of KHS do so for rewards of:
– Documentation and Discovery of Kingston’s History
– Working in Community
– Kingston Community Improvement and Involvement
– Sharing Historical Knowledge
– Creating and Experimentation
We welcome volunteers from the “Greater Kingston Area” as well as those who might participate remotely.
As with any organization, the needs of KHS ebb and flow with time. The categories below are examples of needs and opportunities. Below are some areas where you might contribute:
Work on scanning, preserving and cataloging the KHS collection. Soliciting new artifacts and documents.
Outreach, Docenting, Presentations
Welcoming guests to the Locktender’s House, preparing and presenting talks and walks for the community, assembling displays for the locktender’s display room, and taking displays to the community and working with other community groups
Finance and Fundraising
Maintaining our status as a 501(c)3 charity. Assuring that donations are used for KHS purposes, applying for grants, encouraging donations.
Teamwork in: research projects, teaching research skills, prioritizing research and presentation of results, creating and curating displays.
Advertising, participating in opportunities to extend the reach of the organization. Working jointly with other history-related groups in the area and state.
Website and Technical Opportunities
Website including WordPress, archiving hardware, and other areas needing technical help
How to Volunteer?
If you would like to get in touch with the Kingston Historical Society of New Jersey to volunteer, please fill out the form below: