Kingston Historian (.pdf Downloads)
The Kingston Historical Society, Kingston, NJ publishes a newsletter twice a year. “PDF” versions of the newsletters are listed below. The links will open a .pdf of the newsletter in a new window. Issues from 2017-present are listed below.
Pre-2017 newsletters are also available (see below)
Kingston Historian Fall 2023
Kingston Historian Spring 2023
Kingston Historian Fall 2022
Kingston Historian Spring 2022
Kingston Historian Fall 2021
Kingston Historian Summer 2021
Kingston Historian Fall 2019
Kingston Historian Spring 2019
Kingston Historian Fall 2018
Kingston Historian Spring 2017
For .pdf editions of older newsletters 2011-2016, go HERE
ARCHIVAL MATERIALS WEBSITE
A separate site http://archive.khsnj.org, has been created as public repository for KHS archival items relating to Kingston, NJ history.
The KHS Archive Database already houses a number of items and more are being added. Feel free to visit and browse the archive entries. The main page‘s sidebar has a “search field” (not case sensitive) to perform topical search functions. Using the database is the best method to view historical items of interest in our collections.
The public archiving website archive.org. holds some of our larger video items. Archive.org is a global repository which houses media for perpetuity. Explore our collection on that site. CLICK: https://archive.org/details/@khsnj
Other Archived Information
The Telegraph Blog news items from our past: (Click title for full article)
- Annual Meeting Talk Video now AvailableYou can view Markus McParland’s talk on our video page: https://www.khsnj.org/community-collection-for-kingston-nj-2023-video/ Thanks to Markus for his work preparing this talk and his book “Community Collection for Kingston, NJ” (www.kingstonbook.com)
- Nov-Dec Events in Kingston 2023Kingston Book Talk / KHS Annual Meeting Local author Markus McParland will speak on his NEW BOOK: “Community Collection for Kingston, NJ” at the Kingston Historical Society Annual Meeting 7:30 PM … Continue reading “Nov-Dec Events in Kingston 2023”
- KHS participates in Scavenger HuntOctober 21, 2023 was South Brunswick Township’s History Day Scavenger Hunt. The goal was to explore South Brunswick’s historic buildings and sites in a family friendly way. Participants received a “Passport … Continue reading “KHS participates in Scavenger Hunt”
- Cemetery Tales, October 14, 2023Kingston Presbyterian Church in celebration of its 300th Anniversary presented “Cemetery Tales” on October 14, 2023 On a rainy afternoon… Rev. Sharyl Dixon welcomed nine persons buried in the Kingston Presbyterian … Continue reading “Cemetery Tales, October 14, 2023”
- Kingston is Busy This Autumn (2023)Community groups and historic sites are making Kingston a destination this fall. (click on event for details) Continuing: Rockingham Tours Rockingham State Historic Site tours resume, pre-registration is required. See https://www.rockingham.net/visitor-information … Continue reading “Kingston is Busy This Autumn (2023)”
- Kingston Presbyterian History VideoAn edited video of the June 3, 2023 presentation at the Kingston NJ Presbyterian Church is now available: Reflections of Our Past, 1723-2023, https://youtu.be/0LLbYYpNJ7E Speakers are Rev Sharyl M Dixon, pastorand … Continue reading “Kingston Presbyterian History Video”
- Kingston Tavern Walk 2023 VideoTaverns of Kingston, A Saturday Afternoon walk led by George Luck, Jr. on May 6, 2023 Half way between New York and Philadelphia, Kingston, New Jersey was a natural place for … Continue reading “Kingston Tavern Walk 2023 Video”
- Spring Kingston Historian online!The Spring 2023 edition of the Kingston Historian is now available as a .pdf for download and viewing HERE. Topics include
- Taverns of Kingston, April 29, 2023The Kingston Historical Society’s walking tour of Main Street will be held Saturday, April 29th. George Luck, Jr will share his knowledge of the history of Kingston’s Inns and Taverns. For … Continue reading “Taverns of Kingston, April 29, 2023”
- Kingston Picnic 2023 seeks VolunteersSince the beginning of the 21st century, the Village of Kingston has celebrated with a community gathering at the end of the summer. It is a chance for folks in our … Continue reading “Kingston Picnic 2023 seeks Volunteers”
- Lock-Tender’s House Opens With New DisplayThe History Room at the Delaware and Raritan Canal Kingston Lock will re-open for the season on April 1st. Hours are 10 AM to 4 PM on Saturday and Sunday. The … Continue reading “Lock-Tender’s House Opens With New Display”
- Kingston History Mystery AddedTo promote interest in the history of Kingston, NJ and to foster research skills, we present our first “Kingston History Mystery” at our dedicated webpage. All are welcome to propose answers. … Continue reading “Kingston History Mystery Added”
- Community Project Digs HistoryLast fall Markus McParland came to the Kingston Historical Society with a proposal. As a school project he wanted to do research on Kingston’s history. Since that time he’s found hundreds … Continue reading “Community Project Digs History”
- Kingston Presbyterian 300th Year2023 is an anniversary year. Along the trading routes of the Lenape people, the village of Kingston began to be home to some Dutch, English, and Scotch-Irish settles around 1675. It … Continue reading “Kingston Presbyterian 300th Year”
- Locktender’s House Closed for Winter 2022-2023Public access to the Kingston Locktender’s House is available from April to November each year. In the winter months of December, January and February we are open only for special events … Continue reading “Locktender’s House Closed for Winter 2022-2023”
- KHS Annual Meeting December 6 2022The 2022 Kingston Historical Society Annual Meeting will be held on Tuesday, December 6 at 7 O’Clock PM. The meeting will be “hybrid” – in person at the Kingston Firehouse and … Continue reading “KHS Annual Meeting December 6 2022”
- Interest Groups Being FormedKingston Webmasters Roundtable formingThe web team for khsnj.org and web developers for other Kingston area, volunteer run websites are forming a roundtable group to share ideas and progress. Kingston Archivist Team … Continue reading “Interest Groups Being Formed”
- Kingston Picnic Photos and VideoThank you to all who attended the Kingston Picnic on August 27,2022. As evening fell the Kingston Park, behind the Laurel Avenue school, was filled with conversation, community and music. We … Continue reading “Kingston Picnic Photos and Video”
- Watch Picnic Video Online!At the Kingston Village Picnic in August 27, 2022 we showed: KINGSTON: Crossroads to History (2001) Here is a link to the full video (this takes about 20 seconds to load… … Continue reading “Watch Picnic Video Online!”
- Kingston Picnic Aug 27 – DetailsAllthough the event has passed, you can review the event invitation and view video shown at the picnic. Hope to see you next year!
- Main Street Reflections Video AvailableA video of the June 22nd 2022 presentation is now available HERE. The video is approximately 90 minutes long and includes images of Kingston, NJ’s Main Street (a.k.a. The Kings Highway, … Continue reading “Main Street Reflections Video Available”
- Kingston’s Inns and Taverns to be rescheduledThe May 21st walk around Kingston was cut short due to dangerous heat. It will be rescheduled for cooler weather.
- Kingston: Main Street Reflections — June 22nd 2022A video of this presentation is now available below. About the evening The Kingston Historical Society hosted an evening panel discussion featuring stories of Main Street through the eyes of longtime … Continue reading “Kingston: Main Street Reflections — June 22nd 2022”
- Kingston Inns and Taverns 2022George Luck, Jr. led a well attended but abbreviated tour of taverns and tavern locations in Kingston, NJ on May 21st.
- Kingston: On The Map display opensOn April 9, 2022 a new display opened in the display space of the Locktender’s House. Visit HERE for more details, and THIS EVENT to view the press release
- Kingston: On The MapThe display of maps showing Kingston’s evolution from pre-history to the 20th century is now available HERE Below is the press release announcing the opiening of the display. Press Release Kingston: … Continue reading “Kingston: On The Map”
- Talk: Why is Kingston Here? 2/8/22 (with video)From pre-history to the present, Kingston has a “Place in History.” George Luck, Jr and Charlie Dieterich present a survey of moments from the settlement of Kingston, New Jersey.
- Tree Lighting 2021Thanks to the Kingston Womens Chorus and all who attended the December 5, 2021 Holiday Tree Lighting by the Kingston Lock. Once again, the event was outdoors only, but the gathering … Continue reading “Tree Lighting 2021”
- Holiday Tree Lighting, 12/5/2021Join in the celebration! The annual Holiday Tree Lighting will happen, December 5, 2021 at the Kingston Lock, 4:30 PM with outdoor music and familiar faces! There will be music and carols outside, thanks to the Kingston Womens Chorus.
- Locktender’s House Open WeekendsThe Kingston Locktender’s House is open to the public every weekend through the end of November. The Locktender’s House will again be open on Saturdays, Sundays and major holidays from 10 … Continue reading “Locktender’s House Open Weekends”
- “Socially distanced” Tree Lighting (2020)The KHS annual Holiday Open House and tree-lighting had long been a well loved Kingston Community tradition. Unfortunately, due to the Covid -19 pandemic we were unable to have our traditional … Continue reading ““Socially distanced” Tree Lighting (2020)”
- KHS Holiday Tree lighting ~ December 6, 2020The KHS annual Holiday Open House and tree-lighting has long been a Kingston Community tradition. Unfortunately, due to the Covid -19 pandemic we were unable to have our traditional a Holiday … Continue reading “KHS Holiday Tree lighting ~ December 6, 2020”
- KHS Holiday Open House and Tree Lighting ~ December 1st, 2019KHS members, fellow Kingston resident, and many others attended our annual Holiday Open House and Tree Lighting December 1st, 2019 at the Locktender’s House on the D&R Canal. They enjoyed holiday … Continue reading “KHS Holiday Open House and Tree Lighting ~ December 1st, 2019”
- D&R Canal Videos with commentaryTuesday, June 7th, 2016 Two videos about canals were featured at the Kingston Historical Society meeting at the Kingston Firehouse on Tuesday, June 7th, 2016 After some background on the D&R … Continue reading “D&R Canal Videos with commentary”
- Drive By History (2015)Conference on Horseback pictures Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015, 10:17:14 AM George Luck From George Luck, Jr.: Here are the pictures that I referred to last night at the K.H.S. meeting. They … Continue reading “Drive By History (2015)”